Friday, January 23, 2009

A sad goodbye to our Pop

Today our "Pop" went to be with Jesus only a short five months since "Neenie" left us to be with Jesus. I'm happy that he's in a better place, but my heart is broken and aching right now knowing that I won't hear his whistling tune as he comes in the door of our family gatherings. I'm heartbroken and words cannot describe what this wonderful man meant to me. He's Chris's grandfather, but has been my "Pop" since I was 16 years old when Chris and I started dating, just shortly after MY grandfather (also, called "Pop" had suddenly passed away.) He was one of the finest men I've ever met and I loved every minute with him. He had friends everywhere he went and if you knew him, you'd know why. I'm sure he's whistling his way through the gates of Heaven right now. Please pray for our family as his departure will leave a huge hole in our hearts. He had a BIG piece of mine.

Here's the obituary that was posted in the Bham News on Sunday:
ELLIOTT, JAMES W. (1919~2009) James William Elliot, age 89, of Jasper, Alabama was called home to be with his Lord and Savior on January 23, 2009. James Elliott was born of Claude and Lilly Elliot (also of Jasper) and was preceded in death by his loving and devoted wife, Lois Sherer Elliott. James "Pop" Elliott lived a long and wonderful life serving his Lord, Family, and Country. Mr. Elliott graduated with a Civil Engineering degree (a member of Theta Tau fraternity) from the University of Alabama in 1942, and earned a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering in 1947. Upon graduation with his Bachelors, Mr. Elliott enlisted in the U.S. Army and served his country honorably as a member of the elite Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in the China, India, Burma Theater during WWII. He later worked for U.S. Pipe and Foundry in their Technical/Sales Division in Birmingham, Alabama until the age of sixty-nine. He also had his own engineering and land surveying business and worked in the Birmingham Metro Area as a Professional Engineer and Land Surveyor until the age of eighty-six. Mr. Elliott was an active and devoted member of the Crossroads Methodist Church in Jasper, Alabama. Funeral Services will be held at Kilgore-Green Funeral Home on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. Visitation will be from 10:00-11:00 a.m. at the Funeral Home with Graveside Services at New Prospect Cemetery. Minister Roy Wolfe will be officiating and Kilgore-Green will direct. Pop was a loving and devoted husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and friend. He is survived by his sons, James William Elliott, Jr. and his wife, Carol of Pleasant Grove, Thomas R. "Rick" Elliott and his wife, Holly of Plano, Texas, Jeffrey W. Elliott and his wife, Robbie of Huntsville; grandchildren, Sherra Elliott Wagner and her husband, Pete of Plano, Texas, Chris Elliott and his wife, Karen of McCalla, Brandon Elliott of Plano, Texas, Nathan Elliott of Plano, Texas, Patrick Elliott and his wife, Rose of Montgomery, Ryan Elliott of Huntsville, Taylor Elliott of Huntsville, and Leila Elliott of Huntsville; great-grandchildren, Anna Kate Elliott of McCalla and Ethan Elliott of Montgomery; and sister, Jetty Ziff of Jasper. Kilgore-Green Funeral Home, Jasper, Alabama directing.

6 comments:

Rachael and her fellas said...

Karen & Chris,
I am so sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you and your family.

Rachael Weston

The Turner Family said...

I just heard this afternoon and am so sorry. I know he will greatly missed. Yall are all in your thoughts and prayers and if anyone needs anything let us know.

The Lantrip Family said...

AWW, Karen I am so sorry, he is soo cute! I know you will miss him but how neat that him and his wife are together again in such short time. I bet he was excited to see her. Nothing makes it easier though when you love someone so much. I can't believe your pregger! Yeahhh! What's miss priss think about it?

Www.whughes.blogspot.com said...

SO SORRY FOR YOU LOSS. WE WILL KEEP YOU FAMILY IN OUR PRAYERS.

Brent~Jamie~Ansley~Ace said...

Hi Karen,
Just wanted to let you know that your family is in our prayers. I know you all will miss him dearly.
Take Care,
Jamie Watson

Unknown said...

Hi,
I am an old friend of Rick and Holly's from high school and college. Rick and I lived across the street from each other on Glen Oaks Dr and were roommates at Jacksonville. Would you pass my e-mail address to them? It's jgathof@bellsouth.net . I would like to touch base with them again. I just heard about Jim Elliott when I went back to see my Mom in February. He was a great guy, and you're right, always whistling.

Jerry Gathof